Good morning, my fellow Traveling Wilbury’s! I hope your day is starting off with a bang, and not a bad one, like a car backfire bang…
So, I’m back from FaffCon 5 in beautiful Charlotte, NC.
Words cannot accurately describe what a tremendous experience it was to be a part of such an incredible gathering with such amazing, talented colleagues and to spend quality time with some of my closest friends, so I won’t even try. Instead, I give you this…!
After FaffCon 3 back in March, my buddy Trish Basanyi and I came up with the “Top 5 FaffCon Pickup Lines”, and here they are:
5. Wanna Faff? 4. That’s quite a shotgun mic you got there. 3. Nice signal chain! 2. Wanna go back to my room to see my mobile gear? 1. Is that a Golden Nugget in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?
So this time we came up with the “Top 5 FaffCon Sniglets”. If you’re under the age of 35, click on the Sniglet link to know what I’m talking about. Basically it’s a word that should be in the dictionary, but isn’t. Enjoy!
1) Faffaholic: someone who shows up to FaffCon a day early and leaves a day late.
“Is Tom STILL here? Why doesn’t he go home? What a Faffaholic.” “Yeah, he needs a Fafftervention.”
2) Fafflinquent: an attendee who doesn’t participate in FaffCon events as fervently as one should.
“Did you see Trish, Terry, and Jeff at the NASCAR tour? They weren’t even trying to win the scavenger hunt. What a bunch of Fafflinquents. I’m telling Amy.”
3) InFafftuation: a temporary condition in which a FaffCon attendee is over-inspired by a seminar.
“Don’t tell my husband but I am so inFafftuated with Doug Turkel right now. His branding seminar was AWESOME!”
4) Accountabitterbuddy: what your Accountabilibuddy turns into when you book a bunch of voiceover gigs while at FaffCon without even trying.
“Holy cow, Mel! You booked that one, too?!” (rolls eyes while sipping coffee)
(Melissa Exelberth came up with that one!)
5) Faffalanche: what happens when you get home after returning from FaffCon.
“Dude, I opened my Outlook Inbox and got Faffalanched. I am so screwed.”
(that one was inspired by Bob Souer’s “Share The Avalanche” seminar)
TIP OF THE WEEK: If you an aspiring voice talent, or even a tenured one but you feel that you’re having trouble getting to the next level, you need to network. I don’t mean just show up at some Meetup event and cram your business card into as many hands as you can (BTW that doesn’t work). I mean take the time to establish meaningful connections with other people in the industry and CONTRIBUTE. Read to the visually impaired. Offer to proof-read an audiobook project for a fellow talent. Do something, anything to give and I guarantee that you shall receive!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK: Today is the tomorrow I was so worried about yesterday. Anthony Hopkins
From Tom Dheere’s apartment, this is Tom Dheere: GKN News…